Acidity is very common in pregnancy. Though it is harmless but can cause a lot of discomfort during the tenure of nine months. Read on to find out how you can ease your acidity and heartburn…
Last week, I was chatting with a very dear friend of mine after ages. We spoke about everything from how we had fun back in the old days to the office gossips and to babies. After a long silence from her end she finally broke the good news. I was so happy to hear that she has also stepped into the path of being a mother. As we were discussing about the nine months to follow, she mentioned that she has acute acidity and heartburn.
Well, heartburn is basically a feeling of a burning sensation from the throat right down to the breastbone. This is usually caused due to physical and hormonal changes in the body. Basically, in a pregnant woman progesterone is produced by the placenta in order to ease the muscles of the uterus. And in doing so the hormone also relaxes the valve present between the stomach and the oesophagus. This result in the back flow of the gastric acid thus causing a burning sensation often termed as heartburn. Moreover, progesterone also slows down the digestion. Also, the excess acid produced by the stomach for the digestion of food often leads to acidity.
So here are 8 simple ways by which you can control heartburn or acidity:
- The golden rule of pregnancy is to eat small meals rather than three huge square meals
- Deep fried and spicy food should be avoided. Also, try to give a miss to citrus fruits and caffeine
- Drink water but not during meals as it might cause acid reflux. Good amount of water should be had in between meals throughout the day
- Dinner should be finished 2-3 hours prior to sleeping
- Foods like aachar, chutneys and with high levels of preservatives and salt should be avoided
- When lying down, head and neck should be raised above the stomach in order to control acidity
- Loose clothing should be worn to avoid pressure on the stomach
- Antacids are safe in pregnancy, but don’t forget to consult your doctor
Hope your acidity levels will be under control by trying the above mentioned remedies.
Before taking any medicine, please consult your doctor. (When in doubt call your doctor)
Also, don’t forget to watch the following video with home remedies for heartburn: